Wednesday, January 12, 2011

SNOW DAYS = Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Out in my neck of the woods, we are on snow day number two, rumor is we are going back to school tomorrow, we shall see how that goes.

While, I should probably be spending my snow days working on school stuff, or cleaning, or even doing that dreaded pile of laundry (which is taking over my room as we speak), I find myself with the desire to bake or be crafty.  And so with that comes one of my favorite snow day activities, baking homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch.

They are life changing (or so this is what my roommate says)!  :)



This is what you need:



Yeast is sometimes so hit or miss for me.  Sometimes it works wonders and well sometimes it is nothing less then an epic fail.  The key is lukewarm water...

 Of course you have to have a little bit of butter (well...in this case, A LOT of butter).  I have a feeling that is what makes them so amazing.  I mean...this is sure to make Paula Deen smile!  :)

It took me sometime to understand what it meant to "fork in butter."  And I'm sure I still don't do it the technical way.  I simply mix it in with my hands.


 I also have never scalded milk for a recipe either.  Finally figured out that meant put it in a pan until it gets this scum on it.  

Your dough should look like this.

And yes, the sight of this all night long will make you crave them more and more.

This is how it should look in the morning.  Kind of gross...right?

Roll it out.
Add the cinnamon sugar mixture.  And trust me, one tablespoon of cinnamon may not sound like enough, but it is!
Easiest way to roll is to start with the widest side.




AND THE FINISHED PRODUCT!


Looks amazing right?  Just got a call that school is going to be in session tomorrow, guess having one of these for breakfast will help make up for getting up early.  :)

I wish I could give you the recipe, but I can't.  Its a secret family recipe (though its not my family!). 
But I promise to share something with you soon that includes the recipe! :)


1 comment: