Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins

I love my sleep (I will not deny it).  So in the mornings, I sleep until the last possible minute, giving myself just enough time to get ready and out the door. Therefore, I'm always doing breakfast on the go.  Lets face it, a lot of the quick and easy breakfast items are not so healthy for you.  I decided to make something that was super healthy, delicious, and something that would be quick and easy to grab in the morning.

I happen to be munching on one of these as we speak.  I hope you will give these Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins a try (I love love love them).


This is what you need.  Wheat Bran may be difficult to find, but usually it is in the health food section of the grocery store.  And make note, I left out my egg in this picture (maybe because last time it rolled off the counter and broke).



Mix together the milk and wheat bran allowing it to sit for 10 minutes.




In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce.


In a different bowl (yes, you need three bowls), mix together the two flours and salt.


Add the wheat bran mixture to the sugar mixture.


Now, time to cut the apple.  I used this wonderful invention (seriously, it makes cutting an apple almost effortless).



Chop the apple.


Add the cinnamon and flour mixture to the wheat bran mixture.


Fold in the apples.


And divide into 12 muffin cups.  Cook for 15-20 minutes on 375 degrees.


Don't they look amazing?  They only have 122 calories and 1 gram of fat!

Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups Wheat Bran
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Large Egg
2/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Self-Rising Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tablespoon Salt
1 cup Chopped Apples
1 1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix wheat bran and milk in a bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, mix the egg, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce.
In another bowl, sift together the two flours and salt.
Combined all three mixtures.
Add cinnamon and fold in chopped apples.
Divide into 12 muffin cups and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe found at The Kitchen Table


1 comment: